Saturday, January 14, 2006

Oh, the animals!!


Well, last night was supposed to be uneventful in the house, but I don't think that happens anymore. My basset hound, Maggie, was acting a little funny. Just not settling down the way she usually does. Here is what she usually looks like with Jake.

Well I decided to go to bed, while David slept in the recliner. I put Maggie in her crate and went upstairs. Then she started crying and trying to open her crate. She never does this. I let her out and went back upstairs. David came up after letting her outside and then back in her crate. Again, she started to cry. This cycle of outside and back int he crate continued. I then followed her outside to see if she was going. She would swat 5 times to pee, but I really didn't see anything. Back inside to get the flashlight (and hoping the neighbors don't see me in my bathrobe) and then out to watch her. That is when I saw some blood. Immediately, I go inside and upstairs to tell David. It was no easy task waking him up. After asking him to call the Vet at home (she is a friend) and him saying no, since it was 10:20, it was his job to watch Maggie. After 20 minutes, he deemed that the vet should be called.

Maggie is taking my amoxicillan and an extra strength Tylenol for a UTI! UGH!! Why do we get the dogs that have medical issues. Then we moved her crate to the computer room and put her in. A lot of the night she holled and cried, but their was nothing we could do. Now this morning, we wait to see if the medicine is working. We also have to bring in a urine sample. Does this sound like fun yet?

Right now she does look better. Her eyes don't have any panic or pain in them. So we are keeping our fingers crossed/

Now, I was reading a friend's blog about her son's fish. It reminded me of our fish. Yes, we have one of those also. The story is long about how fish came into our lives, but the story of Emma's fish isn't that bad.

One year, I think it was 2003, our neighbors asked us to watch their beta fish while they were away. When they brought it over it didn't look good and it had been in a peanut butter jar the whole day. She had been driving around to other friend's house to visit and see if they would watch it. Anyway, this fish (a beta) had no color when she brought it. I expressed to her that I didn't know who good I was with fish. She exclaimed, "It's a beta. You can't kill this fish!" Oh yea!!! Within 2 days the fish was DEAD!!! An 8 year old is on vacation and I kill his fish! So, we needed to get a new one. I bring the dead fish to the pet store to match a new one to it. Not possible since the dead one had no color. So now, I need to get a new fish.

This is where Emma comes in. I ask her to pick a fish for Christopher. Well, what kind of a mom would I be if we got the neighbor a fish and I didn't get my 2 year old a fish. So we come home with 2 beta fish. Now, Emma needs to name her fish. Here is the conversation (If you ever saw BIG Daddy, this reminded me of a scene.)
Me - Emma what are you going to name your fish?
Emma - I don't know.
Daddy (while giving her a bath) - So Em, your fish needs a name. What do you want to call it?
Emma - Cock
Daddy - WHAT?
Emma - Cock
Daddy - Go tell your mother what you want to call your fish.
Me (In her room) - What do you want to name your fish?
Emma - COCK
Me (Taking a minute to think) Cock?
Emma - Yea, like COCKADOODLEDOO!

Whew, we were scared. We explained that we can't shorten Cockadoodledoo's name.

So the neighbor gets home, and I instantly run to the phone so she can explain to her son what happened. As I was dialing, there was a knock at the door. It was Christopher! So now, I had to tell him his fish died. The look on his face, ugh! But I followed up with "But we got you a new fish!!!" He was happy and really loved the blue beta we got him.

I am not sure if his is still alive but cockadoodledoo is!

7 Comments:

At 1/14/2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Penny said...

LMAO omg now that is funny..

YOur animal kids are cute Tracy.. Sorry to hear Maggie is sick. .Hope she is well soon. :)

I laughted so much about Emma's fish.. OMG too funny.

 
At 1/14/2006 10:06 AM, Blogger Sara T said...

Hope Maggie feels better!!! A UTI! wow! What a long night.

The fish story is HILARIOUS! OMG! I think I would die of laughter. hahahhaahaha!!!

 
At 1/14/2006 4:42 PM, Blogger mommy3 said...

LMAO... Your fish stories are too funny. Out of the mouths of babes... lol!

Hope Maggie is better. Although I am curious, I'm not sure I want to know how you got her urine sample...

Have a great weekend!

 
At 1/14/2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I hope your doggie feels better soon! I love the story about your cockadoodledoo. (I so badly wanted to make another comment, but I'll save it for Vegas 2006!)

 
At 1/14/2006 11:48 PM, Blogger Christy M. said...

Cock-adoodledoo. I can imagine that I'll have many stories like that in the future! Isn't that why we have kids? I am TOTALLY cracking up. I'm sure that David has a hard time not laughing his butt off when she said that. He was probably searching his mind frantically trying to figure out where she'd heard that word. Whew, when you realized it was just a nickname I'm sure it was even funnier!!

I hope poor Maggie is feeling better tonight. Nothing worse that a sick doggie except maybe a sick baby. So how did you get the urine sample? I think you could devote an entire blog entry to that!

Hugs!

 
At 1/15/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Lara said...

And you thought you would have nothing to write about - HA! Hope Maggie is on the mend, the poor baby. I hate it when my furry kids are sick since they can't tell us what's going on.

 
At 1/15/2006 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Cock the fish!!!!! hehehehehe - I'm seriously cracking up.

And your poor doggie with a UTI. Poor girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home