Monday, February 19, 2007

Please join me for...



As I was browsing my favorite blogs (yes, I am a big lurker people), I stumbled upon
Snapshot's blog and saw this amazing Read to Me 2007 Mission. I decided it was time for me to take action and join this mission.

What is it you might ask? Well, it is an incentive to read to your children more. Yes, I need this because I am ashamed to say that I do not read to my children. I used to read to Emma everyday. I would read 10 or more books to her in a day. Once Timmy came along the reading got cut back to 5 books a day. Then it started dwindling from there.

So now it is time to take action and set some goals.

Goals with Emma:
* To have her pick out a picture book for me to read to her every night.
* To read a chapter or 2 to her every night from a June B. Jones book.

Goals with Timmy:
* To have him pick out a picture book for me to read to him every night.
* To also read a book that I pick out every night.

Both children will probably listen to each other's books which to me is just a bonus. Every couple of days I will list what we have read together. I will use the blog as a journal to keep track of how we are doing.

To further this mission, I will present my daughter's elementary school with a reading program for the children and parents to impliment. Details to follow about that. I am also looking into getting information on Jim Trelease speak for a parents' night.

I will report back on all of the above.

Reading aloud is very close to my heart since in my prior life I was an elementary school teacher. I don't think I even realized what we had lost, but now I look forward to getting it back. Please join me in this mission to read more with your children. Test scores prove that reading to your child (no matter what age) is so beneficial to their growth.

5 Comments:

At 2/19/2007 4:59 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Good for you! That is really awesome, Tracy! Mike reads to Alex for about 30 minutes before bed, sometimes picture books, sometimes chapter books. I read with Alex during the day.

He's starting read on his own which is so exciting to see!

 
At 2/19/2007 5:01 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Oh this is great. we could read to the kids more. They get two books a night (with Chris normally but sometimes me) I need to start going to the library more. Sam really needs new material. Thank you Tracy I will look into this and make goals myself

 
At 2/19/2007 6:49 PM, Blogger Penny said...

I JOINED I JOINED

 
At 2/19/2007 10:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, it does slip away before we notice it. I'm glad you're on board.

 
At 2/20/2007 7:01 AM, Blogger Christy M. said...

I'm proud to say that I read at least 3 books to BJ everyday. We've been reading to him since before he was born!! And trips to library happen at least once a week here since there is nothing else to do in Leakey :)

I'm going to check out the link you posted! And I think I'll be striving to read more books to BJ everyday!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home