Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Best Friend

The title really doesn't come close to what Jake was to me. He is gone and my heart is broken. Memories just keep flooding back. So many things he did and all the love he gave over 8 great years. This is one of my favorite pictures of him. He was full of pride!

* I picked him in June 1998. There were 2 puppies I could pick from. One was a calm puppy who just hung out and didn't care what happened around him. The other was "Top Dog" and thought he was bigger then the other adult dogs. He would run around, jump and bark at the other big dogs. I picked him. He was named Jake on our way home. I wanted Max but David really wanted to name him Jake. It was the perfect fit for a great dog.
* There was only 1 1/2 years that I worked full time. So I spent most of his 8 years with him. He was my saviour while on bedrest with Emma. Without him my days would have been long. He was my friend that I could talk to and cry to. He listened and just loved me. When we brought Emma home he instintly became her guardian. He truly loved her.






* When we brought Maggie home we thought he would be jealous that a puppy came into the house. I felt guilty because I didn't want him to think he wasn't enough. He took to her and loved her right away. They became fast friends. Maggie is hurting right now and doesn't know what to do with herself. Much like me.



* Then came Timmy or should I say my 6 weeks hospital stay. While there Emma was able to visit almost everyday, but my puppies of course couldn't. David brought me a picture of them. I missed Jake so much. I longed to pet his soft fur and smell his stinky breath. God I loved that dog.


* When we got home with Timmy, Jake accepted him as his second child. This dog just loved his kids.




There are so many memories that just flood back to me. The one that breaks my heart is of last night. It really shouldn't though. It was the look of peace after he was gone. I haven't sobbed that hard in a very long time. Actually, I can't stop crying. My heart hurts right now. I know he is in a better place, but when I I saw how peaceful and puppylike he looked, I longed for him to wake up and come home. I just want him home with me. His head and ears were so soft last night. He was so loved by so many. The staff had tears and our vet had tears. I know it was hard for her also. She did everything to help us with him. I know that I exhausted all the options that I had and I just couldn't put him through more. It was time to honor him and let him gone.

I pray that my beliefs that I grew up with about heaven really does exist. I need to see him again when I get there. I need him to lick my face, give me his paw and let me spoil him all over again.

Jake, my love
I can't ever thank you for all the love you have give us. I pray you know how much you were loved by everyone that met you. You touch a special place in everyone's heart. We will never be the same and we are so much better for loving you. Run and play the way you used to. Find Aunt Jean and give her a big lick from me.
Hugs ad kisses to you Jake. I will never be the same without you.
Your Mommy

Here are a few of my puppy:





Emma made Jake into an elephant. He was such a good support!

Our last few minutes with Jake.



Goodnight my sweet Jake. I will never stop loving you.

7 Comments:

At 5/16/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger Sara T said...

Oh Tracy. My heart just breaks for you. He truly was a very special dog that loved and was loved. He reminds me of the dog Nana from Peter Pan. Such a gentle soul. The last pic of you and Jake just breaks my heart...I can see how much your hurting. Please know that I am thinking of you!!!

 
At 5/16/2006 1:40 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Tracy.. i am in a mush of tears here. I am so sorry for your whole family. He seemed like such a wonderful soul. Tracy I am just so sorry.

 
At 5/16/2006 1:47 PM, Blogger Beth said...

This whole post is so difficult to read, I can't imagine living it. I'm so sorry Jake is gone, so so sorry. I would do anything to bring him back. You are such a good Mom to Jake by honoring his life the way you just did in your blog. Believe me, Jake knew how much he was loved, there is no doubt. You were so lucky to have such an amazing dog, but he was even luckier to have the loving, amazing family he had.

That last picture hurts to look at. I hope you can feel the love coming from all of us heading in your direction. We love you so much.

 
At 5/16/2006 2:32 PM, Blogger Christy M. said...

The last picture really got to me too. All of the love that you feel for Jake emanates from your crying eyes. Tracy, I am soooo sorry that you're having to go through this. I never understood why dogs were granted such short lives. It's just not fair.

Please no that I am thinking about you and my heart aches for the loss of Jake. I'm here if you need me girl, and I always will be.

 
At 5/16/2006 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracy - thank you for sharing Jake with us and for all those wonderful pictures. It is obvious what a part of your family he was by all those incredible pictures of him. I'm so sorry you are hurting.

 
At 5/16/2006 5:11 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Your post brings back so many memories for me. My first dog was Anna. She was a gift from Mike to me when we first started dating. She was my baby. A part of me died with her and there is still a hole in my heart. Even after 9 years, I still miss her terribly, but you do move on and it hurts a little less every day. My heart goes out to you and the rest of the family. Rest in peace, sweet puppy.

 
At 5/16/2006 7:52 PM, Blogger Goodies for Mom said...

Jake is such a handsome fellow. There are some very lucky little angels that I'm sure will be glad to take care of him for you.

Hugs!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home