Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Snake, Bear, Shellfish, Oh MY!!

We went camping this weekend to a campground I was looking forward to going to for the splash pool. Wouldn't you know that the weather this weekend was only the high 70's low 80's. I mean really all I wanted to do was have fun in this pool.

We got to the campsite to find that we were at the back of the campground. Which was good and bad. The good was the site was new and huge!! The woods were behind us and it was very quite. The bad, the playground was far from the site as was the store, pool and activity center. David was very happy with the site because we were in the shade and next to the woods. I went to plug the camper in and couldn't figure out how to open the electrical box, so I called David. As he was walking towards me, he instantly jumped back and stood still. The he says, "there is a snake right there!" Yup, it was not 2 feet from me. I was not a happy camper!!

As we were setting up, I asked David if he thought bears go through the woods behind us. Well, I got my answer about 2 hrs. later. We were outside and David said, "Remember your question about bears? There is your answer." Yup, a big black bear about 30 feet from the back of the camper. It was just walking along. At one point he/she paused and looked at us and then kept walking. While this was going on, I had gotten Maggie and Emma in the camper and David had handed Timmy to me. Once they were in, I grabbed the camper, but unfortunately I missed the bear. Again, not a happy camper!! More because I missed the picture!!

We had a good time while camping.
Well this was supposed to be the bear, but as you can see I missed him.

Time to make the S'mores!! My aunt and uncle joined us.

The kids watching the fire. Take a look at the way Emma is sitting.

Timmy enjoying a marshmellow.

Arts and crafts time! Emma made herself a hat. It was cute!

Emma's cousin Danielle making a sea creatures picture.

Enjoying a little lunch with a hound dog watching.

Notice the shirt. He wore it from the moment I got it in the mail on Friday until Sunday when we got home. The boy drove me crazy!

A little pose for the camera.

Emma with Yogi Bear!! He came to visit us at our site.


Timmy went for more allergy testing yesterday. Some test were redone. He is highly allergic to cats! That doesn't hurt my feelings since the rest of us are also. Soybean, corn and egg white he is showing an allergic reaction also. Here is the kicker, he is highly allergic to shellfish, mainly shrimp and lobster! That test showed no allergic reaction a month ago. I knew the test was wrong then. So know we are the proud carriers of 2 epipens. Thank goodness I didn't give him any shrimp this past weekend.

We are almost finished school shopping for Emma. I can tell she is starting to get worried about school. When I mention getting school things she just says oh and then you can see she is thinking about it. Keep your fingers crossed that the first month of school goes well.

8 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Penny said...

I loved the 'amost' picture of the bear.. I loved all your pictures.. What a wonderful family vacation.

Poor Timmy I hope is alergies do not become that much of a problem for him..

Emma will do great in school :)

 
At 8/17/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Christy M. said...

Great pictures Tracy!! It looks like you had a blast camping, well except for the bear and snake :)

I can't believe they messed up Timmy's allergy tests. How strange. I'm glad you have the epipens now, just in case you ever need them.

Emma looks so GROWN UP and she's so beautiful! Just like her mommy!!

 
At 8/17/2006 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never (nor will I most likely ever) had the desire to go camping, but your post and pics ALMOST makes it look fun. :) I very much look forward to Rich someday taking the kids camping while I play Queen home alone!

Interesting about the allergy test results - so do you have to be hypervigilant about the egg whites? (I know those are "hidden ingredients" in a lot of things from my vegan days)

 
At 8/17/2006 11:24 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Whadya mean you missed the bear?? I can see Yogi plain as day! We actually thought about staying at a Jellystone cabin in Missouri on our way back from Kentucky, but we wouldn't have had enough time to do the fun stuff, so we popped for an air-conditioned suite instead!

Looks like everybody had fun, including the dog!

Don't worry to much about kindergarten, Emma will do great. Timmy might just miss her more than you do! Tyler just about made himself throw up this morning with all the energy about starting first grade. But he had a terrific day. Nathan didn't miss him to terribly, even though lunchtime was really weird without him around! Then we got to run off to soccer practice in the 95 degree heat and 60% humidity!

 
At 8/19/2006 10:36 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Looks like a grand time was had by all! I can handle about one night of camping and it has to be at a campground with running water. My poor deprived son has yet to go camping, but I am sure we will go at some point.

Sorry to hear about Timmy's allergies, but at least now you are prepared should something ever happen. Bummer for him though having to miss the joys of shrimp and lobster - two of my favorite things.

I hope Emma doesn't let her anxiety get the best of her. Alex is chomping at the bit for school to start, but I am sure there will be some adjustments once he's there. Actually, I am sure there is some anxiety because he's been having a lot of tantrums lately and breaks down in tears very easily, but if you ask him, he says he's excited. Big changes ahead for our kindergartners!

 
At 8/31/2006 10:16 PM, Blogger Goodies for Mom said...

Tracy,
Looking at the photos it makes me want to go camping this weekend until I read about the snakes and bears. OH MY!!!! Give me the hotel room, thank you very much.

Lois

 
At 9/13/2006 1:49 AM, Blogger mommy3 said...

I thought I commented, but it looks like Blogger swallowed it or something...

Wow, your camping trips look like fun with all the activities! You are a teacher at heart!

Emma looks like a mini-teenager sitting in the chair LOL

I have a ton of "There went the bird/deer/elk/rabit/etc." pictures from our Grand Canyon trip. Nothing as exciting as a snake or bear - OH MY!!!

So has Emma started school yet? I'm wondering how she likes it so far.

You've been on my mind the last week. I hope everything is okay with you and your family. Please blog and let us know how life is!

 
At 9/18/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Sara T said...

um....YIKES! Me and the wilderness do not mix. I would have been high tailing my butt out of there so fast it would be a sight to see! Glad you had a blast though! :) The kids are way too cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home