Monday, July 17, 2006

Just need to get my thoughts down

Well as many of you know I am Catholic, but I don't go to church. I pray, believe in God and try to do my best in following the commandments. I am a better Catholic now (I believe) then I was when I was younger. Why do I start this way...because I am having a real struggle right now.

I feel that the universe, fate, or Jake is talking to me. You see, once Jake passed I started researching breeders for Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs. One breeder lead to another and another until I was led to a breeder I feel a connection with. She is in Washington, D.C. After many emails back and forth, I filled out an application for a possible puppy. She had a dog that was pregnant and due around July 15th, but nothing is definite with the date. She has offered a lot of information and helped me figure out what to look for. I am also trying to figure out when to go visit with her and her dogs.

Now over the past couple of weeks, I have gotten used to just having Maggie. We can go camping and not have to worry about who will watch the dog(s) because she comes with us. So I have decided not to get a puppy at this point unless Jake speaks to me. I think I am hoping he will be reincarnated and be lead back to me.

Fast forward to yesterday, Emma's birthday. I got an email from the breeder asking many questions about my application. She also mentioned that her dog Frida was looking like she was getting ready to have the puppies. I prayed that they didn't come on the 16th because I would feel the pull to get a puppy. Well wouldn't you know that the puppies came last night on Emma's birthday. It is like Jake is saying he is back. He took care of Emma. Emma was his baby. I cried when I got the email. Yes, I was an emotional wreck! Maggie (my other dog) was born on Emma's due date and now this.

So I want to know is it a sign? Is it the right time to get a puppy? Am I out of my freakin' mind to even consider a puppy? I don't have any answers. All I know is that 5 years ago July 16th my world changed for the better...should I trust this date again?

Here is a link to the puppies...
A possible puppy for us!

If you have any advice, please send it my way. Sorry this is a little scattered, but I am all over the place. Have a great day!

6 Comments:

At 7/17/2006 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tracy...of course, the way my mind works, I immediately think of it as a sign to take a puppy. I will also share this story with you: when my mom's beloved golden retriever, Holly, died, my Dad (in a truly clueless but with the best intentions move) went out and got her another golden puppy. Before we had even put Holly in the ground (we buried her). My mom was so mad she didn't speak to him for a week. She was determined to not acknowledge or love that puppy. Of course, she fell deeply in love with that dog (she was the golden that passed away not too long ago, followed sadly by her boxer).

But only you know what you are ready for. I think if my Dad hadn't forced it on her, she would not have been ready for another dog for quite some time. I don't really know what my point is. Sorry, I guess I'm no help... :(

 
At 7/17/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Christy M. said...

Tracy,
I really believe in signs. And even if the date wasn't a sign, I truly believe you are looking so hard for a sign that anything will have meaning to you. Does that make sense? I guess what I'm saying is that I know you want a new Swiss so badly. I know how much you miss Jake and I have an inkling on how much he meant to you.

If you have the means, the will, and a way to get one of these new puppies, I have no doubt you'll be so glad that you did.

Now do you want me to try and talk you out of it?!!

Love you!

 
At 7/17/2006 9:48 PM, Blogger Lara said...

When our beloved lab, Conrad, died in the midst of our move to New England, we said we would get another dog that spring once we were settled into our new house. We reasoned that we have always had two dogs, that Reilly would be lonely since she had never been an only dog and a variety of other reasons. Well, for whatever reason, we didn't get a puppy that year and we said the next year. The next year, I broke my ankle and no puppy. This year, a local breeder has some labs available now and we are so tempted, but are now used to having one portable dog. So we face the same dilemma as you. Sounds to me though that you really want a puppy to love. And if it feels right, I say, DO IT!

 
At 7/17/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like a good enough sign to me! It sounds like this is what you want to happen and maybe your logical side is trying to talk you out of it. You ought to know by now that there is very little logic in love! :0P

Follow that oh-so-big heart of yours!

 
At 7/18/2006 8:37 PM, Blogger Penny said...

I do believe there is signs real or imagined. are you going to get the puppy just because you think it is a sign from Jake or because you want another Puppy? Look at the time period you are committing to this dog.. Your life time dog owners (comparing to disposable dog owners) How much time are you givig to this dog? 10 twent years?

Are you ready to open your heart up again?

This sort of relates: I found I was pregnant with Abby the day after Chris and I decided we where done having children.. That one child is enough for us. I would never change a thing and chances are if you let this dog into your heart you won't regret it ether.

I don't have much advice.. Ether choice is right. Follow your heart and it will lead you.

 
At 7/31/2006 9:46 PM, Blogger Goodies for Mom said...

Ok, who could say no to those faces???? They are so adorable that I want one now. Ray would kill me though and there would be no one to take care of it. ;)

Lois

 

Post a Comment

<< Home