Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Are you up for it???


This is a quote from Sanity Savers:
No Challenge, No Change.
If you don't give yourself a challenge, there can be no change, and without change, there is no growth.


The first challenge is to pick the room or one little space. Well I decided to take on both.

I am choosing our home office/junk room! It is very sad. Here are the pictures that I can not believe I am posting. So embarrassing!

This is supposed to be my husband's desk. Would you believe he tries to look at house plans on this desk?!
This is my section. I had already started moving my stuff out of it. So it is messier than it was because I was going through stuff.




This is a picture of where the wall shifted and we need to fix it.
Here is another part of the shifted wall.
1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
I would like it to be my husband's office and also hold our extra chairs for the kitchen. It will also house the cushions for the chairs on the back porch.

2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
I need a new desk, filing cabinet, and bookshelves.

3. What can I remove from the room?
All of my craft stuff that remains in there. All of the toys that have found their way into the room along with children's clothes. The white wall cabinet and floor cabinet will also be removed with the white shelving.

4. What problems do I see with the room?
It is a collect all for everything on the main floor of the house.

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
We will be buying new furniture for the office. Bookshelves will help with the amount of books in the room. We will also have a bigger garbage can located in there so stuff doesn't collect on the floor. Some baskets will help to organize outgoing work and work in progress. Along with a basket for the mail!

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
We need to get into a routine of putting things in their place. We will need to do a weekly check of the room to make sure nothing has found it's way into the room.

7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?
We have a very big budget for this room. We are looking at about $1000 for the room. Besides furniture, we will be fixing the wall and repainting the room. It used to be the playroom. It will take primer and a dark paint color to go over that red, along with the ceiling. We will also need a few baskets.

8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?
The full 30 days!!! Unfortunately, I can't start on this until I return from vacation. So it will be crunch time to get all of this done and the furniture delivered in time.

9. What is my plan of action?
1. Empty the room of all my craft supplies.
2. Remove all of the children's toys.
3. Remove misc. stuff that is not related to my husband's work.
4. Remove white cabinets and desk from the room.
5. Remove all of hubby's work materials.
6. Fix the walls, prime and paint ceilings and walls.
7. Add new furniture.
8. Add all of hubby's supplies and organize in a matter that will make his work space more efficient.
9. Bring extra chairs and cushions into the room.

10. Who can I ask to help me with this?
My husband will be helping me with this HUGE task. I am hoping we make the deadline!

The Mini Organizing Space:

I am choosing my junk drawer in the kitchen or make that 2 junk drawers because my 1st one was way too messy.

Take a look:


Can you see how I truly could use this drawer anymore. It is horrible!!

Here is the 2nd junk drawer:


1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
This area will hold keys, pens, pads, rubber bands, address labels, stamps, black sharpies, charger and 1 cord for the camera.

2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
Nothing

3. What can I remove from the room?
Everything that doesn't belong. I need to find homes or get rid of the clutter.

4. What problems do I see with the room?
I see it being a trap for shoving all kinds of little things that we don't know where to put them.

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
Possibly some little pencil bins to keep things in place. A little tray to hold the pad of paper and one for the address labels and stamps.

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
We need to stop throwing everything in the drawer.

7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?
$5 at the most on some little bins to keep things separated.

8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?
It should only take me an hour to accomlish if I have the little bins.

9. What is my plan of action?
To dump the drawer and go thing everything. To through away what we don't need or use and put the other stuff in it's home.

10. Who can I ask to help me with this?
No one to fix it, but my husband to keep it clean!

5 Comments:

At 4/03/2007 3:16 PM, Blogger Marcia Francois said...

Hi Tracy

You're so ambitious! I love those red walls in your study, by the way.

All the very best!

Marcia

 
At 4/03/2007 5:30 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Oh I need to do this.. But I would die from embarrassment to show photos. Your so brave.

 
At 4/04/2007 8:14 AM, Blogger Debi said...

Both challenges...wow! I love the color of the walls, but I can certainly see how they would be more appropriate in a playroom than in a study/office. I am so excited to see the after photos! Good luck!

 
At 4/04/2007 7:01 PM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Wow--a whole new room! It would be so great to be able to start from scratch. Enjoy it!

 
At 4/07/2007 2:25 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hello! How exciting you get to redo the whole room! I was surprised you were removing the cabinets but am assuming your new desk will have cabinet space also. Will you use the cabinets somewhere else in the house then?
I want to wish you the best of luck and thanks for joining in the challenge!
Have a great vacation,
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home