Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Preschool 101

Tips For Choosing A Preschool

- Academics: Never too early to learn ABC's and 123's

- Play Time: Every day, both imaginative & physical

- Independence- Children should have choice of activities.

The above I just saw on The Today Show. As a former elementary school teacher and Universal Pre-Kindergarten teacher (a NYS thing), I can say these are very good tips.

Another important thing to consider is meeting with the teacher. Talking to her about the routine of the day, how she handles certain situations, communication between parent and teacher, the goals she has for the children in the class and most importantly, do you get the feeling from her you are looking for.

In a preschool teacher, I look for that warm fuzzy feeling. I look for all of the stuff mentioned above. I look to see that parents are welcome in the classroom. I look for the teacher to have activities that are open ended with the process being more important than the finished product. I look for controlled chaos in the room.

When looking for a preschool for your children don't feel a question is too stupid to ask. Don't assume you know the answers to those unasked questions. Open your mouth and ask. Your child will be in this person's care while you are out of arm's and ear's reach.

My son will be switching nursery school next year. For one reason, the money. For the other, I need that warm fuzzy feeling and to be welcomed into the classroom. I want to be there as much as I can. Once they are in the older grades I won't have that option anymore.

2 Comments:

At 4/04/2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Penny said...

preschools.. preschools...

ug..what a hard maze to search through. With Sam I didn't have to search for a school for him. Bus pulls up and takes him (to an amazing program this year by the way)

Abby really need to go t school this fall. She craves it.

I started searching. I got so discouraged. Finding schools for 2000 to 5000 dollars a year. I just don't have that kind of extra money. I finally had a friend recommend a place where her daughter goes to. Only 80 dollars a month. It is a co-op so I will be required to help out but it is close and it sounds like a great little place. (oh I need to call LOL)

Soon there will be a day you won't have to worry about preschool. How sad is that.

 
At 4/07/2007 9:22 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Man, we don't even have much of a choice here unless you want to drive your kid 25 minutes each way (which doesn't make much sense unless you are commuting somewhere and doing it all day). We used to just have 2 twice-weekly morning preschools. Both independent of the school district, one that enrolls 12 or fewer, one that enrolls 19 or fewer (due to the number of kids one/two teacher(s) can have.

I have been on the board of one of those schools for 3 or the 4 years that my boys have been there, and while I wish they could do 3 mornings a week for the kids getting ready for K, I have been pretty darn happy with it. We pay about $45-50/month plus small extras for field trips, pictures, etc. Our school district now offers half-day preschool in the morning 5 days a week for 3-year-olds and in the afternoon for 4-year-olds. I thought about sending him because it is at the grade school we attend and because I thought it might make a better transition into all-day K next year. BUT, in August my boy was still napping nearly every day, and the thought of the crab monster every day filled me with fear. We have had tremendous personal struggles in preschool this year, and I really don't know if they would have worked out better in the other environment or not.

We panicked a little when K roundup rolled around, but he passed all his assessments with no problem. He has issues with joining in sometimes, but nothing relates to academic stimulation. He has gotten everything he needs from those 2 mornings a week and as much hands on learning as I can remember to do.

You are exactly right--it has to come down to that warm fuzzy when all else is equal. I chose one of two based on how I was talked to on the phone. When one called to ask if we were still interested and used atrocious grammar in the process, I decided to visit the other first and ended up enrolling on the spot. Never looked back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home