Thursday, April 05, 2007

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Disclaimer: This is a very hard review for me. I don't want to give anything away.

I started reading again because of the Spring Reading Challenge. I chose some books I know others read and put them on my list. Then I went to Barnes & Noble to find one of the books on the list. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted by the shelf of best sellers. Not something I usually pay attention to, but Jodi Picoult's last book was there. Now let me say I have never read one of her books, but I was in search of 2 of them on my list. I looked at the inside cover and started reading. At that exact moment I was hooked!

I hadn't heard anything about the book so I didn't know what to expect (which was a blessing.) As I began reading, I had no clue where this story was going and then I was shocked within the first 75 pages.

This book makes you question your parenting skills. Are you doing your best with your children? Are you teaching them to be respectful of others? Do you really have an open relationship with your children? Should children be granted ultimate privacy in their rooms? You realize that something you think is insignificant could truly impact your child for the rest of their lives.

This book has everything in it...young love, heartache, loss, friendships, teenage issues, parent guilt, finding your way through life, making decisions that you would never think you would have to make.

Two women from different lives connect through one's pregnancy. They remain friends and their children grow up together and go off to Kindergarten. Once school starts things change and lines get drawn. At the end of this book, lives cross again with outcomes you do not expect.

I highly recommend this book and would love to talk with anyone who has read it. I just don't want to give anything away in this post to people who would like to read the book. I will say that part of the book scared me and in the end I was sad at the outcome of everything. Life can be so hard for children to find their way through.

7 Comments:

At 4/07/2007 9:11 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Definitely gonna put it on reserve at the library so I can pick it up next time we are in town. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope you like the other one as much.

 
At 4/08/2007 7:06 AM, Blogger Lara said...

The book intrigues me, but I tend to not like her endings. I have a hard time when bad things happen at the end. Reading is my escape time and I'd rather not feel sad and hopeless about the world after reading. :-) I think I'd better stick with my fun British Chick Lit books. Oh how my English professors would roll their eyes at me! LOL

 
At 4/17/2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming here from Callapidder Days. I am on the waiting list at the library for this book. Thanks to your review, I am even more ready to read it. Thanks!

 
At 4/17/2007 6:44 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

Hi Tracey
I too read "Nineteen Minutes." I have read quite a few of Picoult's books, and as per usual went away from the book with mixed thoughts, but definately recommend this book, and her others.

 
At 4/18/2007 8:18 PM, Blogger CeeCee said...

Came here through Spring Reading Challenge as well. I didn't choose this book in the 3 I purchased yesterday. Wish I picked it up now!

 
At 4/18/2007 10:12 PM, Blogger Kim said...

This book absolutely blew me away. I love Jodi Picoult's books, but this one was phenomenal!

 
At 4/19/2007 12:00 AM, Blogger Muffin Cup said...

I love Jodi Picoults books. My Sister's Keeper was my first one and I was blown away. I believe she does a phenonmenal job with character development and most of her books leave you with remnants way after you are done. I find myself thinking about some of the issues she has tackled in her stories. I haven't read this one yet, but this makes me that much more ready to get it. Thanks for the review!
Jennifer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home